Atlanta’s fastest-growing geek culture convention, MomoCon, is bigger and better than ever for 2020. More than 44,000 unique and 130,000 turnstile attendees are expected to fill the Georgia World Congress Center May 21 through May 24, for a weekend of costuming, comics, gaming, and music.
MomoCon is one of the fastest growing all ages conventions in the country with fans of Japanese anime, American animation, and games coming together for four days of entertainment. This year, the event moves to Hall B at the GWCC, doubling in size with room for more gaming, panels, and events.
Open for 24-hours through the weekend, MomoCon attendees will enjoy costuming (cosplay); meet celebrity voice talent, designers, and engage with the writers behind their favorite shows; games and comics. They’ll also get to browse the huge exhibitor hall.
Founded in 2004 by Jessica Merriman, and now run by Merriman and Chris Stuckey, MomoCon has grown from a 700 person on-campus event to the largest event of its kind in the southeastern U.S.
“The expansion in 2020 is allowing us to create a new and more exciting MomoCon experience for our visitors,” says Merriman. “We’ll have more space for gaming, expanded panel opportunities, and shorter lines for everything!”
Cosplay, where attendees dress up as their favorite anime, superhero, and gaming characters, has long been a mainstay of MomoCon. Look for two contests this year, judged by experienced costume and prop makers.
- May 22: The Closet Costume Contest will determine who best became their character on stage. The contest is for attendees who have made 60 percent or less of their costume by hand.
- May 23: The Craftsmanship Costume Contest will allow participants the chance to show off their craftsmanship and prop making abilities. Participants must have made 60 percent or more of their costume by hand.
MomoCon 2020 will offer the largest gaming floor in the Southeast, with more than 300,000 square feet of classic arcades, esport stages, PC/LAN gaming,console tournaments and freeplay. More than 90,000 square feet of that will be dedicated to tabletop games, board games, card games, role playing games (LARP), and miniatures. There will even be a dungeon crawl experience with True Dungeon.
The MomoCon Major competition will allow players to battle it out playing Smash Ultimate singles and doubles. Players enter for only $5 for a chance to win a $10,000 pot.
Other games include:
- Mortal Kombat 11, Street Fighter V Championship Edition, Dragonball FighterZ and Samurai Showdown.
- In partnership with the Retro World Game Series, Halo, Crash Team Racing, Moalo, Pokemon Stadium2, MarioKart 64 and Duke Nukem 3D will be available for play.
- Additional PC tournaments in the PC Freeplay area include: League of Legends, Rocket League, Overwatch, CS:GO, Fortnite, and Apex Legends.
“Board games are a huge part of MomoCon and we now have one of the largest tabletop areas at any convention in the country,” says MomoCon’s Chris Stuckey. “You’ll find games such as Settlers of Catan, Cosmic Encounters, 7 Wonders, Splendor, Ticket to Ride, and Love Letter. We’ll even have game teachers on hand to help participants learn how to play the hottest new (and old) board games.”
MomoCon’s 300,000 square foot exhibit hall features hundreds of vendors, game company exhibitors, and independent game developers.
Celebrity guests will be hosting panels and autograph sessions. Some of the confirmed guests:
- Mike Colter (“Luke Cage,” “Evil,” “Jessica Jones,” “The Defenders,” “The Good Wife”)
- Phil LaMarr (“Mad TV,” “Pulp Fiction,” voiceover work in “Samurai Jack,” “Futurama,” “Justice League” and “Family Guy”)
- Charles Martinet (Voice of Mario, various characters from “Super Punch-Out,” “Skies of Arcadia,” and “Shadow of Destiny.”)
- Chris Sabat (Voice of Piccolo and Vegeta in Dragon Ball Z)
- Fred Tatasciore (Voice work on Marvel characters, DC heroes, games including “Overwatch,” “Minecraft,” “Gears of War,” “Call of Duty” and many more).
Live Music and Entertainment
Every year, MomoCon includes a huge musical component, with anime music videos, singing contests, raves, and other performances.
- EDM event with the MomoCon Rave. DJs Pegboard Nerds and Ducky will be keeping attendees up late into the night.
- Performances by popular video game bands, the Triforce Quartet and Super Soul Bros as well as Orlando Taiko for his taiko drums.
- For the seventh year, MomoCon holds the annual Disney Sing-Along Contest. Participants will be able to show off their best princess voice or character impersonation. The Grand Prize winner will receive a ticket to Walt Disney World. The top three winners will win cash prizes. Contest details: https://www.momocon.com/contests/.
The MomoCon Entertainment and Media Career Fair takes place Thursday, May 21 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., at the Omni Hotel in the International Ballroom. It offers attendees access to gaming, animation, comic book, film, and staffing companies. The event is free for attendees and the general public seeking information about occupations in entertainment and media.
Registration: Attendees can register for four-day or single day memberships. Four-day memberships are $68.00 to $83.00. Single day tickets range from $35.00 – $55.00 (kids 9 and under free). Game tournament registration and separate concert tickets are also available. Visit www.MomoCon.com for more details.